Tzedekah (fairness, justice, charity) and Tikkun Olam (Healing the World) are important elements of Judaism, and we take them seriously at Shir Libeynu. Over the years, we have reached out to other charities, organizations and non-profit groups to offer help in the way of financial or volunteer resources. There is a tzedekah component of our Bar/Bat Mitzvah program. We also have a Chesed (loving kindness) group that helps people within our own community in sickness and bereavement.
Some organizations that have benefitted from our social action in the past few years:
- ALPHA Education Toronto
- The Daniel Pearl Foundation – Music Day project
- Heart to Heart
- Holocaust Education Week committee
- Jewish Family and Child Services
- MNJCC – Inclusivity Committee
- Rainbow Railroad
- UJA – Itanu (initiative to include special-needs people into synagogues across the GTA)
- Women of the Wall
We are always looking for volunteers to help with these initiatives. Please write to: email@example.com, with the word “Volunteer” in the subject heading.